Good first impressions are important, especially when you’re trying to land a job or finalize a big project at work. Did you know your level of success can be often determined just by the way you dress, your body language, handshake or the way you carry yourself? That’s why we’re here to help.
If you’ve heard of the term dress for success, you probably know how important it is to dress appropriately for what you’re after. In fact, they even say you should not dress for the job you have but for the job you want. Want to know how? Here’s a few dress for success tips.
How to Dress for Success
- Wear professional and conservative clothing. It’s always good to do research and learn about company dress code before your job interview or important meeting.
- Men: Choose a suit in neutral colors like navy, black or gray (pinstripe or solid). Remember that tie should coordinate with your jacket and pants, but it should contrast with the color of your shirt. Shoes should be a dark color, clean and polished.
- Women: It’s acceptable to wear a suit (skirt or slacks) or a conservative yet well-fitted dress. Traditionally, skirts are required to be at least knee-length (slightly shorter or longer are also acceptable). Tops, blouses or sweaters that are transparent, tight fitting, have low necklines, revealing waistlines or details that detract from your face are not appropriate.
- Clothing should be clean, pressed and properly tailored.
- Accessories should complement your clothing and personality but still be simple.
- To avoid distraction and unnecessary attention, remove facial and body piercings and cover visible tattoos.
- Fragrances and jewelry should be kept minimal.
- Make sure your hair is clean and conservative in color and style.
- Less is more. Always keep your look simple yet classy and professional.
Need professional assistance to help you dress for success?
D&B Tailors offers professional image consulting services for both businesses and individuals. With our comprehensive wardrobe audit, we can identify the best use for each existing wardrobe piece and examine some typical outfits the client should wear. We then dig into the client’s desired image, both professional and personal, to determine what items are missing from the wardrobe. D&B Tailors will can custom-tailor garments or act as a personal shopper for the client to fill in the gaps. Contact us today for your consultation!
3620 Chapel Rd
Newtown Square, PA 19073