Just like women’s fashion has haute couture, men have bespoke tailoring. The latter goes back as far as the 17th century, and it means “to give an order for it to be made.” In other words, it gives you a full control over creation of a new garment. The process involves a customized tailoring where your height, weight and other measurements of your body all contribute to creating your special order.
Bespoke Tailoring vs. Made-to-Measure
Made-to-measure and bespoke tailoring are to terms that may seem the same, but essentially, they mean different things. Here’s a few distinctions:
- Made-to-measure clothing is largely made by a machine with restrictions in shape and fit. Bespoke Tailoring is an entirely handmade garment created to suit your specific measurements.
- In case of a made-to-measure order, a salesman or a fitter takes the basic measures in relation to a stock size i.e. 39” regular sleeves plus 1/2 inch. In bespoke tailoring, a cutter makes sure all the frames and contours of one’s body reflect in a garment.
- Bespoke tailoring offers individual paper patterns that are drafted for each client.
- There is no restriction on style in bespoke tailoring. Details of made-to-measure clothing are limited to tailor’s availability.
- It takes 4 to 6 days for a made-to-measure order to be completed, whereas bespoke tailoring garments need 4 to 6 weeks.
Bespoke tailoring lies at the core of the D&B Tailors tradition. With over 50 years of experience, our Master Designer Gabrielle D’Annunzio offers a qualified advice and guarantees the best picks over a large selection of fabrics, stylistic details and fit specifications.
Please take a moment to watch this video where some of our customers discuss what working with D&B Tailors and being part of the D&B Tailors Elegantes means to them:
Read more: A Day in The Life of a Bespoke Tailor
Want to learn more about Bespoke Tailoring?
To view fabric selections, discuss style options, and examine sample shirts, please schedule a consultation or simply visit the Newtown Square shop in Pennsylvania. We can’t wait to see you!
3620 Chapel Rd
Newtown Square, PA 19073